Although Rimini Street's client base is still budding, the third party provider of support and maintenance has been quite bullish, owing to the accelerating demand for its service lines; healthy win ratios; and solid execution of its aggressive business plan.
it save on maintenance costs
be to SAP''s once it begins to provide third party S&M for the vendor''s products in the near future). Today, the firm employs about thirty people only and has over twenty customers. About 70 percent are Siebel customers, and the remaining 30 percent are PeopleSoft customers (given that offerings for JD Edwards customers are relatively new). Yet, although these absolute numbers are not large, the client list does include some notable, brand-name, Fortune 500 firms. While many providers have third party S&M